Wednesday, July 6, 2011

'Dangerous West Side Improvements' -- Letter to Salt Lake City Weekly

An SLC Weekly reader says during the North Temple viaduct project, she's seen adults "climbing over" trains to get to and from downtown to work and shop.
Almost every day when school was in session, the students from West High had to wait up to 45 minutes for a Union Pacific train on 300 North that had their only path home blocked, or they could chance climbing over it. When U.P. offered to split the bill with the city to build an overhead walkway, our city couldn’t afford it. Countless times, on my way to get to TRAX, or downtown to work, I’ve been late. Although I consider my self too clumsy to attempt it, I’ve seen many adults climbing over trains on 600 West. 600 West is the only way in and out of our neighborhood to get to public transportation, to get to our jobs. There aren’t even any sidewalks for a block in this urban neighborhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment